January 1 st is considered New Years Day in today's society. But this is a fairly new concept because up until the time of Julius Caesar, the Romans celebrated the New Year in March because it was the first month in the Roman calendar. However, January 1 marked the time when the Romans changed their governmental figures and new consuls were inducted into office. And, they had games and feasting to help celebrate the new officials. But, they still used March 1 as their official mark of the new year and had a festival to their god, Mars (God of War).
It was Caesar who changed the Roman New Year's Day to January 1 in honor of Janus, (God of all beginnings and gate keeper of heaven and earth). Janus was always depicted with two faces: One looking back to the old year (past) and one looking ahead to the new year (future). One of the customs in the festival honoring Janus was to exchange gifts and then make resolutions to be friendly and good to one another.
When Constantine ruled the Romans and accepted Christianity as their new faith, they kept the Festival of Janus as the New Years Day ( Not March as before) and turned it into a day of prayer and fasting and not parties etc. It was a day for all good Christians to turn over a new leaf. However, the Romans may have accepted January 1 and Janus as the New Year, but many did not accept the turning over a new leaf, prayer and fasting part of it.
However, even in 1582, Great Britian and the English colonies in America still kept March for the beginning of the year. (Spring as a beginning?) It wasn't until 1752 that Britian (and it's colonies) adopted the new Gregorian calendar and January 1 as the beginning of the year. But many Puritans in New England felt Janus was an offensive pagan god and chose to simply ignore January 1 as a New Years Day. Instead they just made the entire month of January as "The First Month" of the months.
And, today no one really considers January 1 a fasting day. Ironically, for many it is a major day of feasting on junk food and watching football games on television.
How did New Year's Resolutions all begin?
Once again, we go back to the wild and crazy parties of the ancient Romans. :) They indulged themselves in alcoholic and sexual excess as a way of acting out all the chaos that they hoped a new year would get rid of. So, the New Year's festival was a way to start over. By purging yourself of all this so-called excess energy and confessing your sins, there was a hope that you would be much better in the next year ahead.
Now, the Puritans never did approve of all this New Year's hoopla. So of course they went for this religious renewal of cleanse, purge, fast, confess idea. So they encouraged young people not to waste the new year on foolish things but to use it as an opportunity to make a good change in their lives for the good. So, like some Christians, they made New Year's vows or pledges focused on overcoming their own weaknesses, to enhance their god-given talents and to make them better citizens to others.
The custom of making New Year's Resolutions came into vogue in the 20th century. But most of it was done with jest and an understanding that they would not be kept (for long anyway) since humans were naturally backsliders by nature to their naughty habits and ways.
The resolutions today are simply a secular version of the religious vows made in the past toward spiritual perfection. They are often made with good intentions and broken with a sense of humor and renewed annually. Article source : http://www.cojoweb.com/new-years-eve-hist.html
When it comes to showing affection, you and your partner may have different ways of showing your love. Not understanding how one communicates his/her adoration for the other can cause of stress in any relationship. Therapists explain that there are five love languages that they review with their patients to help them discover their own love traits, and the traits of their mate:
Touch: Some people need to be in contact with their partner to feel loved. We respond both physically and mentally to this type of stimulation. This can be through hand-holding, massages, hugging or just sitting close enough that you can feel one another. Acts of Service: This love language means that you show your affection by doing things for your partner, and in turn, you feel more loved when people return the favor. This could be as easy as running errands or completing chores. It is also important to understand what acts of service your partner feels show love, and which he feels are simply just things that need to get done throughout the day. For example, a husband may wash his wife's car and take out the trash, but she may feel these are just necessities. The acts of service must be done out of love, not obligation. Quality Time: This love language is more about just being near your partner; it is about being invested. Unless both parties are paying complete attention to one another, then it does not qualify as quality time. So even if you go on a dinner date, you may not be really spending quality time with one another if you are both not fully paying attention to the other. And, quality time definitely does not include letting a wife talk about one subject while her husband watches a sports game in the same room. In a thriving relationship, quality conversation is important. Your partner may feel that love comes from being a sympathetic listener. It doesn't necessarily mean that you have to solve all his problems, just that you become an active and compassionate listener.
Receiving Gifts: For some people, tangible gifts are more of an expression of love than hearing the words spoken to them. If this is the language of love for you, you may feel that not receiving gifts correlates to being loved less. But, if this is the language of your mate, then it is probably one of the easiest to comply with because it takes little effort. The gifts can be big or small, cheap or expensive. Either way, they serve as small reminders to the person that you still care.
Words: Vocally expressing your appreciation can be powerful. There are three common ways of affirming your love through the power of words. The first includes simply stating your love for the other person. The second is through compliments. For example, telling him how great he looks or praising him on a meal he made for you. The last type of affirmation is encouragement. This could be pointing out the progress your partner is making in a particular area, or telling him how proud you are of him for making a difficult decision.
How To Change Your Attitudes By Catherine Pulsifer
Your outlook on life, basically your attitude can determine your happiness and success in life. Attitude is a mindset, how you view your world. Do you see the positive or do you focus on the negative? Our perception of the events in our life, and how we regard these events can be attributed to our attitude.
How can you change your attitude?
- when dealing with a situation try and find the good in it. Focus on the good; do not dwell on the negative. Depending on the situation, you sometimes have to look hard to find the good but it is there. By doing this you start changing attitudes to a positive attitude rather than a negative attitude.
- Remember the saying, "you can't change other people, you can only change yourself." So if someone tells you that you have a poor attitude, don't try and convenience them otherwise as you won't change their mind. When someone tells us this we have a tendency to take a defensive attitude, instead focus on how you can change. Can you change attitudes of other people?
- Again, I would refer to the saying, "you can't change other people, you can only change yourself". You will end up becoming very frustrated if you try and change other people. Remember, you can only change yourself and how you deal with that individual.
The story below is a story of attitude. The individual in this story could have easily developed a "poor me" attitude, but instead he chose to focus on what he can do, his attitude reflects what a positive outlook on life can be like.
"Now I look beyond what I can't do and focus on what I CAN." Robert M. Hensel
Too often in life, we focus on the things we cannot do.
Sometimes we cannot do things because of financial limitations, health limitations, family limitations, educational limitations, and so on.
Sometimes, we end up limiting ourselves from achieving success in reaching our goals. We end up having a negative attitude which limits our ability to achieve success and happiness in our life.
Through the Internet, I have recently met an individual whom I found to be very inspiring. He has a positive attitude, he focuses on what he can do. To name a few of his accomplishments:
- he has set a world record, and is in the Guinness Book of World Records - he is an international poet with over 900 publications - he is an advocate for the disabled - he is the founder of Beyond Limitations Week - he is an Ambassador for the Harvey Ball World Smile Foundation. - he has created his own website, http://wheelierecord.tripod.com/index.html and the list could go on!
The individual is Robert M. Hensel. You see, Robert was born spina bifida; a disability that affects your sense of balance and also has an impact on your kidneys.
Robert could have easily used his disability to limit his achievements, yet he has accomplished more than many. His attitude and outlook on life is one that, for me, is inspiring!
To quote Robert, "I have learned that limitations open doors that have been closed, showing other ways to meet our needs."
Let Robert be a reminder for changing attitudes. Use his motto of not focusing on what you can't do, but, focusing on what you can do!
The man came home from work late again, tired and irritated, to find his 5 year old son waiting for him at the door.
Daddy, may I ask you a question?"
"Yeah, sure, what is it?" replied the man.
"Daddy, how much money do you make an hour?"
"That's none of your business! What makes you ask such a thing?" the man said angrily.
"I just want to know. Please tell me, how much do you make an hour?" pleaded the little boy.
"If you must know, I make $20.00 an hour."
"Oh," the little boy replied, head bowed.
Looking up, he said, "Daddy, may I borrow $10.00 please?"
The father was furious. "If the only reason you wanted to know how much money I make is just so you can borrow some to buy a silly toy or some other nonsense, then you march yourself straight to your room and go to bed. Think about why you're being so selfish. I work long, hard hours everyday and don't have time for such childish games." The little boy quietly went to his room and shut the door.
The man sat down and started to get even madder about the little boy's questioning. How dare he ask such questions only to get some money.
After an hour or so, the man had calmed down, and started to think he may have been a little hard on his son. Maybe there was something he really needed to buy with that $10.00, and he really didn't ask for money very often.
The man went to the Door of the little boy's room and opened the door. "Are you asleep son?" he asked.
"No daddy, I'm awake," replied the boy.
"I've been thinking, maybe I was too hard on you earlier," said the man. "It's been a long day and I took my aggravation out on you. Here's that $10.00 you asked for."
The little boy sat straight up, beaming. "Oh, thank you daddy!" he yelled. Then, reaching under his pillow, he pulled out some more crumpled up bills. The man, since the boy already had money, started to get angry again. The little boy slowly counted out his money, then looked up at the man.
"Why did you want more money if you already had some?" the father grumbled.
"Because I didn't have enough, but now I do," the little boy replied.
"Daddy, I have $20.00 now. Can I buy an hour of your time?" Article Source : http://www.lifeofhope.com/inspirationalstory11.htm
I believe many of us do not actively choose what we want in our lives. Let me give you a personal example. For years I simply went with the flow, so to speak. It was if I was in a rowboat, with no oar, out on the river of life. I went wherever the river took me and unfortunately it took me to some pretty depressing places. One area that was particularly challenging was choosing a career. I always took the path of least resistance, usually abdicating any choice I had, especially if it involved a difficult decision.
It just seemed easier to live for each day, and never worry about planning for the future. I took whatever jobs I could find, and thus usually ended up working somewhere that I didn't enjoy at all. Then one day I realized that there actually was an "oar" in my boat that I could use to "row" to wherever I wanted to go. At that point things began to improve. In essence, I started to make better choices in all areas of my life. It didn't happen overnight, but gradually I became more proficient at the planning and decision-making processes that lead to a better, more enjoyable life. Here are a few ideas I encourage you to experiment with in your own life:
1. Start noticing the choices you are making on a daily basis. Many times each day you are faced with choices. It may be something as simple as, "What will I have for breakfast?" Or it may be a bit more complicated, like, "What actions should I take today to make my business a success?" You are literally making thousands of choices a day. Are they taking you closer to the life of your dreams, or are they keeping you in a place that you're not entirely happy with? Carefully watching your thoughts around the daily choices you are making is a good place to start.
2. Realize that you always have a choice about how you respond to something or someone. Each and every event in our lives is neutral, in and of itself. It is how we respond to the event that creates our experience of it. If you feel that you do not have a choice in a situation, then take a closer look. You may be faced with alternatives that are difficult to accept, or maybe you have just overlooked some possibilities. Reconsider your options and/or brainstorm some new solutions. During the next situation that presents itself; don't just "react." Stop and think about how you would like things to turn out, and then "respond" in a way that will help you achieve the desired outcome. 3. Understand that over time your choices influence who you are. Each morning you wake you have a choice to make. You can choose to be in a good mood or you can choose to be in a bad mood. Each time something bad happens, you can choose to be a victim or you can choose to learn from it. Every time someone comes to you complaining, you can choose to accept their complaining or you can help them see other possibilities. Over time these little choices become part of your personality and the essence of who you are. Ask yourself, "Am I becoming the person I've always wanted to be?" If not, decide what needs to change and get the help and support needed to make it happen.
4. Recognize that what you focus on is a choice. Do you see the glass as half empty or half full? Do you worry about failing instead of focusing on the rewards of success? You do have a choice about what you focus on in life. Begin to notice how you focus you thoughts on a regular basis. Do you see a constructive of destructive pattern? 5. Realize that to a great extent you choose your own limits in life. If you're 7 feet tall, or weigh 200 lbs, then chances are you won't be able to be a professional jockey. But in many areas of life people choose to practice self-imposed limited thinking. You can be and do so much more than you currently believe is possible. It's your choices and decisions that hold you back for the most part. Think about an area of your life where you may have chosen a self-imposed limitation that you are unhappy with. Then go out and get the help and assistance necessary to break through that limiting belief.
6. Practice, practice, practice. Learning to make choices is a skill that improves with practice. The more choices you make in life the easier it gets. Why not take the opportunity to make as many conscious choices as possible in the upcoming week?
7. Having a choice is a choice. Realize that you have the power to change many things in your life. You must first decide that you want to change. You can choose right now that you will be a person that takes responsibility for the choices they make. Don't let your life run on automatic pilot. Begin to take control of your future by making choices that lead you towards your goals, dreams and desires. The famous Psychologist Carl Jung once said, "I am not what happened to me; I am what I chose to become."
About the Author: Kim Smith is a Life Coach who passionately helps people learn and master the skills and strategies they need to experience the peaceful, happy, satisfying lives they want and deserve. Find out more at http://coachkim.com/.
Do you have a couple of friends that always use you and make you feel awful? It is best to avoid these types of people as they don't make you feel positive about yourself. Friends should be there with you when you are at your worst and at your best. A friend that keeps using you can cause significant stress and financial problems to you.
Here a couple of friends you should avoid in your life:
1. The complainer.
This friend always likes to complain about something. It could be the air that he or she is breathing or the little things like having dirt on the bottom of the shoe. 2. The drama queen.
This person is always exaggerating things and complains how it is going to scar him/her for the rest of their life. If you go out with this type of person, doing normal things can be downright painful and difficult.
3. The user.
He/she always wants something from you but never returns the favor. This is annoying because friends meant to share and both people should mutually benefit. With these types of people, you tend to leave your wallet or the most precious possessions at home so they don't ask you for anything.
4. The stinker.
This person smells a lot and everywhere you go, people will complain about your friend's body odor. You always ask the person to have a shower and put some deodorant on but never do. 5. The negative guy.
He is always negative and has nothing good to say about anyone.
Success requires focus because in our effort to improve our live legitimate problems and justifiable excuses will happen at various stages and times. If you are not focused when your moment arrives you may miss it. The problem is that too many times we have the mentality that the moment will come if we wait for it. However the reality is we must work toward what we want.
In the real world of success focus creates the moments and allows us to see opportunity when they present themselves. many times when people have the mentality they will wait for success they are not focused on success. waiting creates stress, pressure and strain because if we are not taking action our mind is not in the right place and time can cause us to waver in our efforts.
As you focus success and work toward it by improving your performance you develop the confidence necessary use your skills to make things happen.. Focus ensures you have a clear idea of where you are going and where you want to be and what you need to get to that place of success.
The following five tips will help you stay focused on success: 1. Check you.
Is what you are doing true to who you are? Is your effort to achieve success developing you into a better person? Are you connecting to your future and making a positive impact on your life? 2. Check your Purpose.
Is your focus motivated by something deep inside you. Are you trying to impress others, be popular or be liked? If this is your motivation your focus will be temporary. 3. Check your mental clarity.
Educate and learn to gain knowledge that gives you an advantage. Stay sharp and push yourself to change and improve through the application of information.
4. Check your goals.
Your goals must be genuine and sincere not selfish and shallow. Is your goal satisfying or is it based on greed?
5. Check your motivation.
Find the will to overcome mistakes and enjoy the process of learning from them. Reward yourself and celebrate victories on a regular basis.
Albert Einstein has always been viewed as an eccentric. However, his personal oddities did not, in any way, undermine his brilliance. Despite the way he looked, he is considered one of the most groundbreaking scientists of all time.
For anyone struggling to find success in his or her own field, these Albert Einstein quotes can inspire you to fulfill your dreams.
Einstein has been responsible for some of the most amazing breakthroughs ever discovered. His words would always ring true, even after his death. For inspiring Albert Einstein quotes, read on! Albert Einstein Quote # 1: "The only real valuable thing is intuition."
Intuition cannot be bought. It is inherent in each one of us and can only be honed through experience. Unfortunately, not a lot of people listen to their intuition. And perhaps even a larger number don't even believe they have one.
But Einstein, a man of science, believes in a person's gut feel. When torn between two decisions, it is important to listen to that nagging feeling inside of you.
Intuition has saved a lot of people from danger. And if yours is nudging you to go a certain direction, there's no harm in trying that out, right?
Albert Einstein Quote # 2: "We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
As unusual as this success quote sounds, it does tell the truth. Stubborn people, for example, get themselves stuck in a situation by not listening to the advice of others.
Instead of remaining stubborn all throughout the ordeal, why not take someone's word for a change and try a different approach?
Stubbornness will not get you anywhere. Einstein recognizes the importance of flexibility. If you want to achieve success, you'll need to adopt that same flexibility as well.
Albert Einstein Quote # 3: "Imagination is more important than knowledge."
This is one of my favorite inspirational quotes. After all, you cannot always live life by the book. You'll have to be as creative as you can to make every day of your life more meaningful.
Life's problems cannot always be solved by equations either. Sometimes, it takes a touch of creativity to help you get to the bottom of things.
Einstein was truly a man who had a lot to share. With this set of Albert Einstein quotes, I hope you feel a renewed drive to succeed in whatever field you choose.
IF and WHEN were friends. Every week they met and had lunch. Their conversation usually centered on all the things they were going to achieve. They both had many dreams and they loved to talk about them.
This particular Saturday when they met, WHEN sensed that IF was not in a great mood. As usual they sat at the table reserved for them and ordered their lunch. Once they placed their order, WHEN questioned IF. "IF what is wrong with you? You don't seem your usual cheery self?"
IF looked at WHEN and replied, "I'm not sure, I just don't feel like I am making any progress. This last week I saw a course I wanted to take if only I had the time to take it."
WHEN knew exactly how IF felt. "Yeah," replied WHEN, "I too saw a course and I am going to register when I get enough money together." WHEN then said, "well what about that new job you were going to apply for. You were so excited about it last week, did you apply?"
IF responded, "If my computer didn't break down last week, I would have applied. But, my computer is not working, so I could not type my resume."
"Don't worry about it IF, when you are ready another job will come through. I have been thinking about looking for another job also, but I will wait and when the weather gets nicer I will look then." WHEN then went on to tell IF about his week, hoping that it would cheer him up a bit.
The man at the next table couldn't help overhear WHEN and IF. They both were talking about when this and if that, finally he couldn't take it anymore. "Excuse me gentlemen," the man said. IF and WHEN both looked at the man and wondered what he wanted. The man continued, "I'm sorry, but I couldn't help hearing your conversation. I think I know how you could solve your problems."
IF smiled and thought, how could a complete stranger know how to solve all of their problems. If only he knew. When he realized the challenges they faced there was no way he could solve their problems! Curious, IF asked the gentleman, "How do you think you can solve our problems?"
The gentleman smiled and said, "You only need listen to yourselves. It reminds me of an old proverb: 'If and When were planted, and Nothing grew'."
IF and WHEN looked puzzled. The gentleman smiled and said, "Start counting how many times you use the words 'if' and 'when'. Rather than thinking 'if and when', start doing, take action, stop talking about 'if and when'."
IF and WHEN both looked surprised, and suddenly realized that what the gentleman had said was so true. Both of them were guilty of thinking, acting and living their life for the "ifs and whens". The gentleman left and IF and WHEN's conversation changed. They made a pact that when they met for lunch next week, there would be no "ifs and whens"; they would only talk about what they accomplished!
In simple terms what are goals? Goals are something that will give you DIRECTION in business and in your personal life...
They are very exciting and great fun, especially when you reach a goal, it makes you feel FANTASTIC...
Why Is Goal Setting so important to achieve success! Well here are some more reasons why:
1. Goals establish DIRECTION in your life. 2. Helps maintain MOTIVATION. 3. Challenges you to GROW. 4. Can improve your SELF IMAGE. 5. Gives you CONFIDENCE. 6. Drives your LIFE and your BUSINESS forward. 7. Makes you understand your reason WHY.
GOALS ARE THE FIRST POSITIVE STEP TO SUCCESS...
You Can Have Goals In All Areas Of Your Life:
- Personal - Family - Health - Business - Financial - Leisure - Friends - Household - Spiritual - Community
How Do You set Goals? Goals should be set in categories of time, this way they keep you excited and focused.
- Short Term Goals - (weekly and monthly) - Medium Goals (6months-1 year) - Long Term Goals (3-5years)
Achieve by setting goals (TOP TIPS)
1. Once you have set your short term ,medium term and long term goals, write them down. DO NOT just keep them in your head, you wont achieve them. 2. Have a time scale for every goal....if you don't, nothing will happen. 3. Make goal boards with pictures of what you want. Have them visual there is nothing more powerful and exciting. I have my goals on sticky notes in my car, by my bed. I also have them stuck inside my purse, all this keeps excitement flowing everyday. 5. Be ambitious with your goals but also be realistic. 6. Adjust your goals. As you grow so will your goals. 7. Don't be put off by set backs THAT'S LIFE, adjust and move on. 8. When you reach a goal celebrate, have a great time, then focus on the next one... 9. Make sure you have a little meeting with yourself at the end of every week, to look at how everything is going.
If you want to know how to achieve then simply set goals. I hope I have given you a taster of how goal setting is done and what a difference it can make to having a successful life. I feel setting goals helps stop the boredom, and gives you something to aim for, they have certainly made my life more colourful and I hope that they make all your dreams come true.
Expressing a few thoughts about people that choose to stand up, stand strong, and stand firm on what they want to do. It's very easy for someone to talk you out of your objectives. If you can be persuaded to change your course of action then maybe you didn't want to do it in the first place. But for those of you who want to continue then here are a few pointers to help you along the way.
Strategy 1: Say it. In your mind you've thought about something that you really want to do. No one can change your mind and that is final. Ready to move to next step with no regrets and take on the challenges ahead.
Strategy 2: Believe it. Questioning yourself is when you are thinking in could be done. This type of thinking want cut it. You will need to have a firm conviction that it can be done and you can do it.
Strategy 3: Can it. No, I'm not talking about trashing it and throwing it away but I'm referring to just the opposite. You can do whatever you set your mind to if you apply focus and persistence to your efforts.
Strategy 4: Do it. Take the first step. It may be hard and you may have to make yourself do it. Look at the end result and keep your eyes on the prize.
The above strategies will help you move along if you really want to make progress. Some people may disagree with me but you'll get over it because they have helped me. If you are a big talker but cannot prove anything then how are people going to believe in you. Proof is in the pudding. You can do it!
Much of our media looks down on smart people. They like to produce stories on beautiful and famous people with problems. Sometimes it almost seems to be unpopular to be smart. Such an attitude will not fare you well in the real world. Cultivating your intelligence, not just faking it, is one of the most important things you can do to ensure your happiness and financial success in life.
1. Set goals once a week. Do the important things first. This helps because you might need to do a important project and you decide to go and play football instead. And the night before the project is due you are rushing around and may not even finish. Your teacher will be able to tell 2 things, you've rushed it and you haven't put any effort into it.
2. Work on your vocabulary. Read good books, try to use a few definitions from the dictionary each day, or subscribe to a "word-of-the-day" service on-line. You can also take the vocabulary tests in Readers Digest or buy a book on increasing your working vocabulary. Read the dictionary one letter at a time. This will take you a year at least but you will grow intellectually. 3. Further your education. Keep in mind an education isn't the junk you are forced to do in school for diplomas and degrees; it's an understanding of the world around you. People who are naturally curious for some reason begin to stop asking questions the moment they hit school. The truly brilliant mind however, always questions their world and tries to make sense of it. That is the secret to "genius". Do not let the relentless orders and busywork of school called an "education" fool you. Schools are one potential resource if you enjoy the environment but by no means are they necessary for brilliance and by no means are they the best way. For more information learn about Unschooling. Note the significant contributions Unschoolers have made.
4. Watch the news and talk about recent things that have happened around the world. Try to watch (or, more preferably, read) the news everyday for the rest of your life. Also analyze it for the media does occasionally sell propaganda.
5. Cultivate an interest in subjects like current events, interesting facts, funny and inspiring quotations, good books and movies, scientific studies and interesting inventions. Educational television is a great way to learn. Check out PBS or History channel. People who have something to talk about other than their own internal problems and worries appear far more interesting and intelligent. 6. Read good books. They will make you both appear and be smarter. Reading really is fun and your mind will grow. Keep your reading diverse by reading books of all genres including non-fiction. Make sure the books are interesting to you. As you read more you will soon learn that, just like movies, some books are better than others. Keep searching out the ones you think are good. If not sure what to read... ask a teacher or go to the library. Get a library card. 7. Be organized. Begin each day by planning. Get a notebook or small digital planner to write down your daily homework assignments and write down the due dates for tests and papers. Get a weekly planner with your class schedule and plan your activities. Get a monthly calender to write down birthdays and big events. Write down what classes you have, when to do homework and what your homework is, dates, when you are hanging out with friends etc. all in your planner.
8. Learn to listen carefully to others' opinions about controversial things, or things they know about and you do not. You do not have to agree with them but remember everybody has something to teach you. Keep an open mind. The more intelligent you are the more questions you will ask of your friends, teachers and parents. It is great for social conversations too but don't do it in class. 9. Be nice to people. Care about the well being of others. Sometimes people don't realize if another person is hurting or sad. Look at their faces and in their eyes when you talk to them. There will always be bullies. They may call you names: a nerd, a freak, a geek, or use a racial or homophobic slur, but in this case they really will only be jealous and petty. Being nice to all people is also a sign of maturity, class and intelligence. Keep it up and people will notice. You will start to feel very good inside. Sometimes a good tactic is to go along with their mockery and laugh at yourself. Stand up for people who are getting bullied even if you might start getting bullied. Never insult anyone, gossip or hurt someone physically. Don't make offensive jokes.If someone is abusive to you, you can ignore them or go to adults for advice on how to deal with them. Be respectful to yourself, friends, parents and teachers. 10. Be friends with smart people who do all of the above. It will boost your self-esteem, confidence, make you less likely to be teased, prevent depression, help you study harder, make your life happier and otherwise enrich your life. You can also make studying fun with your friends.
11. Exercise your mind. Learn how to solve the Rubik's cube. It is easier than it appears if you learn tricks in visualizing the cube's geometry. Also do word and math puzzles-such as Sudoku. This will make you at least twice as smart!
12. Learn how to do mental sums or speed math. There are all sorts of tricks for doing complicated math in your head that will amaze others. Plus it can potentially increase working memory.
13. Visit new places as much as you can. If possible, try to visit other countries too. Visiting cities in your country or in a different one, gives you a open mind and teaches you about the world we live in. You will be able to understand other cultures(how people live in a different place, how they behave with each other, how they live and so on). You will also be able to understand that the planet earth is huge and there are so much to see and do. You will be fascinated on how there are so many different people and culture in the world. That will make you smart and interesting.
14. Visualize. Smart people use the visual sense. They observe a lot. That's a much better way of taking in and representing information than verbally (for example, in words,) or in sound, smell, touch, etc.
15. Deconstruct complex situations. That will enable you to understand each part of the system better. And it will give you a better understanding of the whole.
16. Act smart. If you act like you're smart then you can convince people that you are actually smart. This will in turn make you believe that you really are smart. Just believe in yourself and pretend to be smart. After some time you will begin to gain confidence that you really are smart. Tips
* Remember, smart people don't necessarily talk a lot. If you do say something, make it witty. Never brag about what you know, like how the universe was created. Always be willing to help if someone asks.
* If you need help in getting organized, ask an adult or a teacher.
* If someone asks you a question that you don't know the answer to, be honest and tell them you do not know. Find out what the answer is from someone.
* If your parents are not educated it does not mean they are stupid, maybe they just did not have the chance. Try to improve yourself but not make fun if they are ignorant. * Don't let other people's rude comments get to you. They're just ignorant if they feel they need to insult you in order to feel better about themselves. Never obsess about what other people think of you. It is a waste of time and may increase your stress. * Try to find a role model- someone who is very intelligent - and observe them. But still know who you are.
* Take the time to study. * Beware that drugs and alcohol can lower your intelligence. Exercise and eating soy help the brain to grow big. Eat lots of soy. Except, for females, soy has isoflavones which can naturally escalate your estrogen levels-limit to a small bowl a day of soybeans and/or a glass of soy milk. Too much soy is not good-it will alter your hormone levels!
* Take your time and learn to communicate well. * Don't be jealous about other people's life and know that we are all the same and we are all different...we are all humans, but we are all unique. Be happy with what you got in your life. It is the smartest, and best, thing you can possibly do.
* There is more than one "type" of smart. There are booksmarts, streetsmarts, and so many others out there. No one is technically "stupid" or "dumb" it is just that everyone is smarter at something than someone else! * Learn to work with people. Sure it's great to be right most of the time using your intelligence, but you also need to learn to work with other people. Don't expect them to understand everything you can understand. Make things simple or obvious for them, but not too obvious so that you sound like you're mocking them. Don't command them. Ask questions that will help spur their thinking. And find reasons that they can related to for accepting an idea or solution, etc. * Know the difference between being smart and knowledgable. If you are smart, mentally, your mind works very well and is sharp. For an example, you have a great memory or you learn quickly. If you are knowledgeable, you are well-educated, and you know a lot. Are you both or just one? Warnings * Don't become a know-it-all or do-it-all. It is obnoxious! It is better to be subtle, not obvious. * Try very hard to enjoy working with others on projects. It says a lot about you if you are successful. Other people have valuable ideas too. Listen to what others have to say. * Treat others as they like to be treated. * Be a Good, Clean, and well presented person.
* Don't reveal your weakness to your office friends * Try not to lie, it makes your life easy and good.